It was supposed to be so easy

Ditch the day job, have a wonderful wedding day, jet off on an exciting honeymoon and return to the UK to begin my amazing new life as a Mrs. Bag a new and exciting job, have more time to do the things I love. Catching up with friends, baking cakes, blogging. Easy, ja?

OK, so strictly speaking it’s only the bit on return to the UK which has gone a bit pear-shaped. We were extraordinarily fortunate that our wedding day fell on possibly the hottest day in October and a marvellous time was had by all. The honeymoon was also perfection. But now back in Blighty things have turned decidedly meeeehhh.

First there was the jet lag. We clicked straight into Singapore time the moment we touched the Changi runway, which hinted we may struggle to get back on UK time. How true. Staying awake until the heady heights of 8:30pm was considered an achievement, and being wide awake at say 4 or 5am wasn’t uncommon.

That cured. Then came what felt like a bit of a virus. Not quite a cold, but something which made me feel a little sluggish. I could still do stuff,  but at a slower pace than usual. This wasn’t too bad. I always expect to pick up some kind of bug when travelling 12 hours from a country with daily temperatures of 30+ degrees, especially when being greeted by fog and freezingness when landing in the UK.

Then came a pesky UTI. I am prone to these at the best of times (I read Caitlin Moran’s awesome new book during the honeymoon and was pleased to discover I’m not the only one!). However, it’s rare that I get one so extreme that I can’t sleep or stand up straight because of the pain! Mr love of my Life carted me off to the doctors on Monday. As I took my sample into the hospital and then headed to the pharmacy to pick up my prescribed drugs he took to calling me by my nan’s name, such was my hobbling. That was until I pointed out that this was an insult to my nan, who at almost 90-years-of-age and with various health concerns, was at least able to give the illusion of being OK. I just felt pathetic.

I started taking the tablets as prescribed by the doctor. Four a day with food or a glass of milk. The UTI started to clear up but I still didn’t feel myself. I wasn’t sure if this was part of the UTI itself or something else. But even a trip into town to buy a few essentials left me needing a lay down for a good couple of hours.

Then came yesterday. I don’t know how to put this without being too graphic but let’s just say the antibiotics which the doctor prescribed me have some less pleasant side effects. Toilet visits became more frequent for a wholly different (and unpleasant) reason. I also don’t think I’ve ever been so sick without the aid of cheap vodka before. I’ve stopped taking the tablets and feel brighter in myself, although have stationed myself in the bedroom today due to the close proximity to the en-suite. I’m waiting for the doctors to call me back to advise me on what to do.

Until I feel better all of my plans are on hold. No meeting up with friends (so annoying as my tan is fading and I wanted to show it off in all of its bronze glory! ;-p Don’t worry I practiced safe sun!), no job hunting, no nothing. I’m taking the fact that I’ve managed to blog today as a step in the right direction. Is this the start of exciting things to come? Or just the ability to do more than veg on the sofa watching Phil Spencer Secret Agent? We shall see.


4 responses to “It was supposed to be so easy

  1. Oh dear how awful for you! I hope you’re feeling better very, very soon!

    Good to hear your new husband is taking care of you 🙂

  2. Thank you so much sweets. I’m pleased to report I’m feeling much brighter now. xx

  3. Pingback: Am I a Housewife? | BABE ON A BUDGET

  4. Pingback: Baby, you’re a firework! | BABE ON A BUDGET

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s